Musician’s Corner Feature – Christian Dozzler
“More than 45 years on the Blues scene have provided the multi-instrumentalist Christian Dozzler (vocals, piano, harmonica, organ, accordion), a.k.a. “Two Meters of Blues” because of his 6’7″ height, with a musical background that is rarely found among Blues musicians coming out of Europe. In the year 2000 he relocated to the USA and is currently based in Dallas/ Fort Worth, Texas.
Christian Dozzler was born into a musical family in Vienna, Austria in 1958. He started getting classical piano lessons when he was five years old. At age 14 he fell in love with the Blues and has continued this romantic relationship ever since.
Solo piano Blues and Boogie Woogie were the starting point and are until now a major part in Christian’s work. In 1976 he formed his first group, the “Backyard Bluesband”, where he also played harmonica and some guitar. 1980 was the year when he decided to make a profession out of his musical addiction, he also picked up the accordion after discovering Zydeco-music.
The years from 1984 till 1993 Christian spent as the co-frontman of Austria’s “Mojo Blues Band”, and started recording and extensive touring throughout Europe. Frequently working with American Blues artists on their European tours widened his musical horizon and made him an experienced player in many different styles of Blues music.
From 1993 till 2000, he had his own band again, “Christian Dozzler & The Blues Wave”, where he could finally bring the whole diversity of his talent into play. The program was a musical journey from Chicago Blues, Boogie Woogie, Rhythm & Blues to Swamp Blues and Zydeco, and anything in between. Especially the Louisiana music would soon become a trademark of this band. Four CDs resulted from these years. In 1999 the band recorded their fourth CD “Louisiana” right in the land of the bayous, together with some legendary figures of the Louisiana music scene.
In May 2000 Christian Dozzler accepted an offer that couldn’t be refused. He joined the Baton Rouge, Louisiana, based band of Larry Garner, moved to America, and toured the US and the rest of the world with Larry for two years.
In 2002 he settled in Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas, and continued his solo career. Four more CDs with mostly original music were released since then to international critical acclaim, and Christian also recorded as a sideman on countless Blues productions.
These days, Christian Dozzler performs mostly solo on both sides of the Atlantic, or as pianist and singer with Anson Funderburgh & The Rockets”.
Awards and nominations
• BLUES CRITIC AWARD 2008: Christian Dozzler nominated for “Best Blues Keyboardist”.
• TROPHEES FRANCE BLUES 2000: At the french “blues-Grammies” Christian Dozzler was nominated in two categories. As “Best European Blues Singer” and “Best European Blues Artist”.
• CONCERTO-POLL 2000: in the yearly poll of Austria’s biggest music magazine Christian Dozzler was elected “Best Blues/Roots Musician”.
• CONCERTO-POLL 1998: the CD “SMILE AWHILE” was elected “Best Blues CD”.
• W.C. HANDY AWARDS 1991: Mojo Blues Band – “Wild Taste Of Chicago“, featuring Christian Dozzler, nominated for “Best Contemporary Blues Album”
• W.C. HANDY AWARDS 1990: Magic Slim – “Chicago Blues Session Vol.10”, with Christian Dozzler on piano, wins “Best Contemporary Blues Album”
Copyright © 2023 Christian Dozzler